Reynoldsburg-Truro Historical Society © 2016
YEAR MONTH EVENT
1958-1974 Robert P. Heischman, Superintendent of Schools.
1958 French Run School ready by opening of school year.
1958 February 7 Reynoldsburg Bank organized.
1958 May 31 First foot delivery of mail to Reynoldsburg homes and businesses.
1958 June 20 Formation of Messiah Lutheran Church initiated (p. 53).
1958 September 6 St. Pius Church formed.
1958 Four rooms added to new French Run School.
1958-1961 Charles Fine, Chief of Police.
1959 April 1 Little Weekly newspaper begun.
1959 June 28 First building of Messiah Lutheran Church dedicated (p. 53).
1959 August Mounds near Hibernia excavated.
1959 Spring Reynoldsburg [Shopping] Center opened.
1959 Graham Road School being rushed to completion.
1959 Tuesday Night Duckpin League still was bowling.
1960 Federal census shows that 7,793 persons live in Reynoldsburg (p. 1).
1960 Reynoldsburg High School accepted as a member of North Central Association of Colleges and
1960 Herbert H. Mills School built.
1960 Graham Road School finished.
1961 January 5 Secretary of State designates Reynoldsburg a city.
1961-62 3 months Clarence Hunter, Acting Chief of Police.
1962 February Classes move into newly finished Reynoldsburg High School. Class of 1962 is first to graduate from new building, last to go all 12 years in same old building.
1962-1974 Bruce Umpleby, Chief of Police.
1963 Rose Hill School completed.
1964 John Knight began as Fire Chief.
1966 First Annual Tomato Festival.
1968 Fay May died, age 96; Reynoldsburg historian.
1968 April New Messiah Lutheran Church dedicated (p. 52, 188).
1969 June 23 William Joseph Merringer and Harold G. Schenk died.
1969 October 12 St. Pius Church dedicated.
1970 January 1 Truro Township hires its first fulltime firemen, six (p. 57).
1970 Federal census shows that 13,921 persons live in Reynoldsburg (p. 1).
1971 John Scott Francis, age 18, became the youngest person in the United States to be elected to a
board of education. He served until December 8, 1977.
1974 Jess Moore began as Chief of Police.
1974 Reynoldsburg Junior High School completed.
1975 April 30 Reynoldsburg-Truro Historical Society formed.
1976 April 10 Motz-Cook Elevator torn down.
1976 August Post Office moved to 7185 East Main Street.
1977 Evert Cheatwood died, age 97.
1979 October Mrs. Belle Patterson died, age 98 years, 7 months, 21 days.
1974-1979 John Babel Jr., Superintendent of Schools.
1979- S. Gene Denisar, Superintendent of Schools.
1979 June 5 Reynoldsburg voters adopt charter form of government.
1980 Work begun to develop Pine Quarry Park.
1980 June 21 Dr. Robert Lowell McClarren honored by Alumni Association, College of Veterinary Medicine at Ohio State University, for 58 years of veterinary practice.
1980 November 28 Georgia Taylor Headley died, age 101 years, 11 months, 28 days.
1980 December 14 Dedication of Reynoldsburg Division of Police Building and Reynoldsburg Branch Library.
1980 Federal census shows that 20,661 persons live in Reynoldsburg (p. 1).
1980 Reynoldsburg Chamber of Commerce formed from Reynoldsburg Business Association.
1980 Program was launched to fight substance abuse.
1981 fall First history of Reynoldsburg and Truro Township published.
1985 January 4 Reynoldsburg-Truro Historical Society purchases land on which museum stands for $22,500
(Courier, 04/1985, p. 13).