Reynoldsburg-Truro Historical Society  ¬© 2016     


1485 jackson street reynoldsburg, ohio 43068

The McEwen family have owned and occupied the Lower Tavern for about twenty years and have kept a saloon, besides some others which sold liquors contrary to the law and wishes of the majority of the inhabitants of the town and vicinity.
    The pioneers of the village and the surrounding country have nearly all left this vale of tears. To record a few of their names may not be out of place here, viz. Henry Johnson, John Coons, George Graham, James Graham, William (little Billy) Graham, Joseph McIntyre, Mathew Crawford, Esq., Robert, James and John McCray, William and Thomas Ashton, Phillip Rhoads, Archibald Cooper, J. B. West Esq., Robert Taft, Esq., Nathaniel Mason, Esq., Jeff Learn, Moses Hunter, John and Alexander Frazier, William C. and John Graham, David Pugh, Moses Strong, John Livingston, Robert Forester, a minister of the United Presbyterian Church, who was the Pastor of the Reynoldsburg U.P. Congregation for more than twenty years., Rev. John Y. Thompson, Presbyterian, Thomas Longshore, Daniel and George Parkinson,
    The names of those who served as Justice of the Peace in the village were: William Crawford, Jeremiah Nay, Robert Taft, John B. West, John Miller, George D. Graham, J. C. Reynolds, John Lynch, Charles Hutson, John Wright and Nathaniel Mason Sr.
    The first church organization was the Seceder (now the United Presbyterian congregation) church, which took place in 1819 by the election of two Elders and the acceptation of William Graham (for the other) of the congregation of Cambridge of the State of New York. The names of the other two were Mathew Taylor and William Crawford. The election and ordination was conducted by the Rev. Robert Armstrong of Massies Creek, Greene County, Ohio of Miam Presbyteri. The first Meeting House for Public Worship was built by said congregation about one-half mile southeast of town on the Lancaster Road where the Hebron road crosses it, on the southeast corner of the farm then owned by Mathew Crawford, but owned now by the widow and heirs of Joseph Medbury, deceased. There was regular 'preaching in this church for about forty years, until the new church was built in the village in the years 1860-61. The number of it's members, on an average, have been about 100 or perhaps 110. The names of the Pastors who have had charge of the said U.P. Congregation during it's existence, are as follows: Rev. John Donalson, S. Supply for two years, Rev. Samuel McLean two years, Rev. David Lyndsay seven years, Rev. Robert Forester, twenty-one years, Rev. J. W.. McNary, eight years; Rev. J, C. McArthur, three years and Rev. R. H. Park, six years. The congregation has been blessed with the re- gular dispensation of divine ordinances for nearly fifty years, which leaves seventeen years it has not enjoyed them.
    But let us take up the town again. The meeting house was first built in the town for public worship and was the Baptist brick church which still stands, after an existence of over forty years. The little congregation has lately been divided on account of some practical questions.

The second church in the town was the Methodist Episcopal. It was a frame building located on the northwest corner of what is now the school lot. It is taken down now and they have built a brick build¬ing situated on the south side of the National Road. It. has a steeple and a bell.
    The third was the Presbyterian church which was consumed by fire about iem Another one was built on the same lot immediately and is still used. This building also has a steeple and a bell.
    The fourth church was built by the Universalists.
    The fifth church was built by the United Presbyterians, which was built about 1860, costing two thousand dollars. It has a steeple and a bell.
    The sixth church built was the brick Methodist Episcopal church with a steeple and a bell.
    The seventh and last church built was the Campbellite church of brick construction, having a steeple but no bell yet.
    The village has one of the largest school houses in the county and one of the best schools, which is kept up by Superintendent D. J. Snider. Mr, Snyder is a teacher of rare qualifications for the profession and is the only Superintendent the school has had. The school is divided into four departments, viz. Primary, Intermediate, Grammer and High School. The school district embraces territory besides the corporation of the village, which makes it necessary to have another school house, small, for the accomodation, of those who are located too far from the village, but they are governed by the same Directors and Superintendent. The Board consists of six members chosen out of the householders of the town and country. Two go out every year and two are elected at the Spring election to fill their place.
    The town is bounded on the west by Blacklick, on the south by a line running east and west parallel with the new grave yeard, on the east by a line taking in the graveyard on the hill, and on the north by.a line running parallel with D. L. Graham's hedge fence and R. Spitler's north line until it reaches Blacklick creek, the place of beginning; embracing about a half of a section of land.
The officers of the town are a Mayor, a Marshall, A Treasurer, a Clerk and five Councilman, who are chosen by the people of the village at the Spring election on the same day the township officers are elected.
The Physicians who have practiced medicine from time to time are Jacob Shaffer, Robertson, Lunn, Cowden, McCullough, Mathews, Goldrick, Carrel, Nourse, Fisher, France, Donnon, Brook, Alberry, Taylor, Dysart, Griffith.
    The names of the most prominent merchants who have sold goods and groceries in said town are as follows: Mr. Bronson, J. C. Reynolds, L. P. Rhoads, Wm. Goodwin, Abe Moore S Goodwin, Dickey & Ed. Moore, V. Hutson, Nat Mason Jr., Rhoads & Mason, John Rees, David Graham & Son, Thompson S Raid, Elias Weaver, Mason 6 Cayman, R. R. Johnson, Charlie West.

.