The Postmasters have been-J. C. Reynolds, Harvey Miller, D. Graham Deputy, John Miller, V. Hutson, John Lynch, Nathaniel Mason Jr., William Rhoads the present incumbent (1885).
    The Wagon C Buggy Manufacturers J. W. Thompson, Thomas Norris, Thomas Longshore, Abrah Johnson, Jain Bryant, Mr. Abbot, Fred Norris, Harrison Long.
    The names of the Blacksmiths, Joseph Reynolds, John Mitchell, Mr. Willis, George Shanks, Samuel Gillette, Saul Rush, Mr. Hook, Hays Brothers, William Hunt, James Banister, William C Josial Rush, Feasel and Mr. Rhodabaugh & Son.
    The names of the Carpenters area George J. Graham, Nathan Orcutt, Amariah Graham., Hack Long, Mr. Hathaway, Daniel Parkison, Samuel Parkison C Sons, James Hanna and Duel Gillett.
    At the time the whites began to settle around where the village now stands the Indians had a sugar camp, and one of them took a little too much whiskey (of which they were all very fond) and loosing his balance fell into one of the kettles of boiling sugar water which caused his death. His comrades buried him near the said camp, and fenced in the grave with poles, which had not decayed and could be seen in the year 1817 when the writer with his father moved into the neighborhood. The first settler. on the sight of the town was a Mr. Donahue; in the year 1816 he sold to Mr. John.French.
    Near the village are several relics there of the Mound Builders to be found. One is a mound near the southeast corner of the. Corporation, situated on quite an eminence before the plow disturbed it. It was about ten feet high and at the base about forty feet in circumference, but it has been nearly leveled down even with the surface on which it was erected. Another of these relics is situated near the northwest corner of the Corporation, on the farm owned by. Ed. Parkison, lying across the °road opposite his house and barn. • It is a fort having a bank thrown up in a square, about twenty-eight or thirty roads on each side. The bank or wall was worn doWn1)17 time so low that it was scarcely visible when the Country was first settled. It-can, however , be traced out yet. Another fort, circular shaped, is to be found about a half mile south of said village, on the west side of the Lancaster road, the fence runs over the edge of it. It's circumference is about sixty or seventy feet. The wall was about three feet high when in a state of nature, but the husbandman's implements. have leveled it nearly even 'with the surrounding surface and said fort is about forty rods south of the house which Mr. Nathan Orcutt occupies. About two and a-half miles northeast of Reynoldsburg, near the southeast corner of Jefferson township, there is a fort similar in shape and size to the one just described, which has not been disturbed by the owner of the land. (Dr. Lunn). The difference exists in the height of the wall and the depth of the ditch which was probably ten or twelve feet deep and the wall ten or fifteen feet high. The water stands in the ditch the most of the year. On the wall or embankment there was quite a large oak tree, showing that the wall is as ancient as the present timber around it and that it belongs to some age of the world, when that was, can only be decided by conjuncture. One thing about the mounds we know from the fact that in many of them human skeletons are found, showing that they were used for burying the dead. It is held by some that the mounds were used as a tower when an enemy's approach could be discovered, and that the forests were built for protection from animals and other foe:

The village has a small hall where the Council holds their meetings and attached to it is a Callaboose, in which to keep the criminals, but to the credit of the citizens it is seldom used, and it is likely if the prohibition law was in force that it would not be brought into use often, perhaps not at all. A goodly number of the citizens are in favor of enacting some such prohibition law, as soon as possible.
    There are few village's more moral than the Burg, and where there are a larger population of the inhabitants that are church going people, it is very seldom that one will hear profane language in common conversation, and it is a very rare occurance where quarreling and fighting takes place. The violation of the Holy Sabbath, perhaps, is the sin which ranks nett to the leading crime of drunkenness.
    There has lately been organized a Company, which has purchased •a lot on the south side of the Corporation, to be set aside for a graveyard. It has been run out into streets and family lots, and in it has been erected a nice vault for the accomodation of the village and the surrounding country.
    In said town there is worth are sold every year both run by the same steam of lumber. They sometimes .build houses' and chimneys. a large tile factory, where hundreds of dollars Also in connection with it a steam saw mill engine which saws a very considerable amount fill a bill for a small number of brick to build houses and chimneys.
    The town is blessed with plenty of water, both well and creek  water, and the creeks are fed by durable springs which keeps them running the year round. In case of fire there is an abundance of the' element so essential to quench the flames.
    One half mile northeast of the Corporation of said town is one of the largest freestone quarries in the State of Ohio. Some of the tiers are the best quality and almost as durable as marble. It is owned and worked by Mr. William Forester, who keeps. a double set of saws in operation night and day, furnishing step stones, caps and sills, and range work for buildings in the City of Columbus and adjacent villages and in the country near by the quarry. This work is done mostly during the summer season, but some is done during the fall and spring season if the weather permits.
    Butchering is carried an quite extensively in the town and vicinity; there are five or six slaughter houses in operation, employing twenty-five or thirty hands, killing twenty-five or thirty head of cattle every week, besides a good many hogs and sheep.
    The village has been more unfortunate than many others in respect to the number of fires it has had during it's existence. The number of houses destroyed are no .less than .ten, and one of them was a meeting house worth about $2000.00. Another one, a large two story dwelling house worth twelve or fifteen hundred dollars The others were smaller ones; one of them owned by R. Spitler, but occupied by Fr. Jackson. It took first in the night, and he and the family were hard pressed to take their escape; his goods were mostly saved. Another fire consumed the building in which the Post Office was kept by V. Hutson. A stock of • groceries in It, and two other houses and the roof of the brick store on the north side of the National Read or Main Street; the goods were


1485 jackson street reynoldsburg, ohio 43068

Reynoldsburg-Truro Historical Society  © 2016