Reynoldsburg-Truro Historical Society © 2016
Located in the heart of the original village of Reynoldsburg is the French House. Built in 1831 by John and Jane French on the Old National Road, the house is still beautiful today. Reynoldsburg was named after one of French's boarders, James Reynolds.
The French House, along with being a residence has been a tavern, doctor's office, antique shop and recently a store called "Under the Arbor," selling gifts for the home and garden. It is the oldest standing house in Reynoldsburg.
In the 1940's the house was in deteriorating shape. Dr. Roland Gardner renovated the building and had his medical office there. Beginning In the late 1950's and 1960's Dr. Herbert K. Ervin used the building for his medical offices. Then Eldon and Dorothy Berg lived there for about ten years. He was the manager of the Ohio State Bank.
During the 1970's a member of our society, the late Anita Cody, had an antique shop in the French House. Following that store the building was painted pink and became MeeMaw's Attic, continuing as an antique shop.
7305 East Main Street, Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Today the house is in reasonably good condition. A wide paved driveway with parking in the back makes it commercially feasible. There is still a large backyard with all the charm of Old Reynoldsburg. The intersection where the house sits, Lancaster Road and Main Street is one of the busiest in the area.
Some of the many windows in the French House have their original float glass panes. Stop in and view the light as it passes through the bubbles in the glass. Your mind will wander back through almost 200 years of history.
Sources for this article include but are not limited to: Phyllis Gubanc, Connie Parkinson, Sandra Bysinger,
Ralph Connell, Lyle Turley, Hillard Ebrom, Evelyn Richards, and Jack Kittzmiller. Article Compiled by Philip Vaughn -2006.