Reynoldsburg-Truro Historical Society © 2016
Acting like they do this every day the Dingey Movers Company from Zanesville, Ohio back the building right into place. Computerized levelers were used to balance the load. Engineers had staked out the lot prior to the arrival of the house. The house was positioned, so that it could be dropped onto the foundation that had yet to be built.
Looking like it is floating on air the RTHS Museum construction site shows a partially completed foundation. Not everyone was thrilled with the idea of working underneath the jacked up structure and the original company pulled off the job. Plumb bobs were dropped from the corners of the house and used to layout the area for the footers. Block was laid and then the house was lowered to sit on the new foundation.
Now the real work begins. Backfill, landscaping and sidewalks (required by the city) are next up for the new home of the Historical Society. Tons of fill dirt was needed to smooth out the elevation. Foundation stones from the original location were salvaged and used to build a new retaining wall. Sod, evergreens and trees start to give a finished look to the project.
Names thanks to Abbee (Boerner) Mansfield
Alcy Haden looks over a sign in 1995, mapping contributions to restore the newly moved RTHS Museum. The society spent more than $90,000 to meet building code requirements.
Back in April of 1993 the Society voted to move the RTHS Museum from its original location at S.R. #256 and Livingston Avenue to its present location at 1485 Jackson Street. Mrs. Marssa Ong and Thad Green had donated the house to the society. Two years and a lot of sweat and tears later, the house opened its doors to the general public as the new home of the Reynoldsburg/Truro Historical Society.