Reynoldsburg-Truro Historical Society © 2018
The National Road as it passes through Reynoldsburg, Ohio.
YEAR MONTH EVENT
1888 Reynoldsburg Women's Christian Temperance Union founded.
1888 Blacklick Bridge built on Tussing Road.
1890 Railroad came through Brice; Joseph Powell built a grain elevator.
1890 Reynoldsburg village fire department organized.
1890 May Jasper Lodge 579, Knights of Pythias instituted.
1890 September 7 Reynoldsburg Annual Picnic begun.
1896 April All students at Union Academy required to show teaching certificates before graduating; rule
1897 July 13 Darlington J. Snyder resigned.
1899 February 10 One of 2 remaining homes in Hibernia destroyed by fire. Temperature: -25° F.
1900 Village streets were crushed stone, not too large.
1900 Mrs. Mary Martin Frazier died, age 98.
1900 September 7 Telephone service came to The Burg.
1902 Columbus, Newark and Zanesville Interurban line begun through Reynoldsburg.
1904 Gas pipes and mains laid on Main Street and Graham Road.
1904 March 1 Rural Free Delivery Route established out of Reynoldsburg. James M. Connell, carrier until
his death in 1909.
1904 spring Reynoldsburg Banking Company begun.
1905 April 5 Village Council contracted for 20 gas street lamps to burn day and night for 500 per month.
1905 Universalist Church burned down, not rebuilt.
1906 A public toilet was built in Reynoldsburg.
1906 spring News Gazette, the first newspaper, was begun.
1907 Traction car speed limited to 12 mph in village.
1907 Highland Terrace Addition begun (p. 120).
1908-1909 Reynoldsburg Band organized — active until late 1930's.
1911 Reynoldsburg Grange chartered.
1913-1914 Ohio Department of Agriculture erecting buildings east of the village for agricultural testing
1922 Reynoldsburg Civic Club organized by Jessie White Weiberg
1922 Reynoldsburg Chamber of Commerce organized.
1922 Electric power came to Reynoldsburg, per month.
1923 January 14 Hibernia ..School closed forever.
1923 May 5 and 6 Gigantic Opening Sale Idlewild Manor Addition
1925-26 Addition to Reynoldsburg School built
1926 Girl Reserves organized at Reynoldsburg High School. First President: Kathleen Harris (m. Evans).
1926 Eugenie Chapter, Order of Eastern Star, formed.
1926 Autumn Temple, Pythian Sisters, formed.
1926 First graduating class to hold ceremonies in school building.
1927 February 28 Two traffic lights were ordered for a 60 day free trial.
1927 May 31 Ordinance passed to enforce traffic lights.
1928 Town toilets ordered closed.
1928 October Dams to be constructed in French Run and Blacklick Creek.
1929 January The Columbus-Zanesville interurban railway went out of business.
1929-1944 James A. Oppy, Superintendent of Schools.
1929-1944 Donivan L. "Doc" Evans, high school principal.
1930 January 17, 18 First Farmer's Institute held. (Last one 1940).
1930 May 26 Reynoldsburg Bank closed by stock market crash.
1930 October 27 First Reynoldsburg Recreation Board appointed: Harry Hayes, Ed Rickly, R.S. Graham, H.D.
Pickering, Elzy Connell.
1930 Village fire department had a soda acid chemical cart to put out fires.
1932 Asphalt to be used to resurface several major streets in the village.
1932 Reynoldsburg Press begun, weekly newspaper printed through 1941.
1932 March, April Lower Tavern demolished to build gas station
1934 Upper Tavern caught fire; later torn down